Friday, February 25, 2011

Replication and Data Issue

For the past few months, usually at the end of the month, we've had a predictable issue with speed and getting all of our servers to display the latest data at the same time. I won't bore you with the details about why except to say that at the end of the month our traffic doubles with the reporting and rush to close the sales period.

For the past year I have been involved with working to "predict" usage patterns and then allocating enough server resources to handle your needs. Each month a team of us has watched as we increased our server capacity and then our customers have increased their usage correspondingly. Apparently there is a huge amount of reporting you'd like to do and when you see the server available you hit it like a beer after work. So we add servers and you use them even more, a viscous cycle for sure.

Today I am pleased to announce the end of this issue is near. iML has bought a cluster of the fastest computer servers ever made and will be bringing them into our data center over the next few weeks. We will slowly move our highest volume stores over to the new machines and graduly everyone will be on the new systems. These machines will deliver faster broadcast email releases, quicker reporting and more capacity for our newest products.

THANK YOU for your continued patience and we promise, I promise, we will work our way out of our own success.

Best,

Keith

Followers